Friday, May 23, 2008

The Riches

My current training anthem, courtesy of Jane's Addiction.

"So let's talk 'bout our plan- you can count is gonna work
Carry on feel immortal- at the risk of getting hurt
I'm praying that it rains- so some day we'll be sowin'
Living through a little pain- no complainin' as were trainin' for the riches ..."


At least the first four minutes, perfect for a Tabata round ...

I'm two week out from my planned return to the mat on June 9th. Work has been really kicking my ass over the past several days and I can't help but wonder if this injury is at least a little karmic. I love my job like I've not loved any job before in almost every respect. But things are a little chaotic and it's my unfortunate tendency to want to find some sort of order whereever I go. So it's been crazy time.

My side delt is really still sore, much sorer than it should be. I can do lateral raises though, which seems weird given how much that muscle aches sometimes. The biggest difficulty are pushups, though I'm able to do light one-arm bench presses. That's the real, original injury, the labrium or cartilage that makes a socket out of an otherwise flat arm/shoulder connection.

I'm taking the time to work on hip and hamstring flexibility more than anything. I haven't kept up with my cardio like I should (two sessions last week - LSD9 and Man Makers; one LSD9 session on Monday of this week). But I'm not especially worried because I've done a great job of keeping my weight down. Right now, without shoes, I'm walking around at about 159 - and that's hardly doing any training (I also did a little resistance work on Monday and Wednesday of this week, Pull and Legs).

So we'll see what happens. I'm hoping that work settles down a bit over the next few weeks as I get closer to getting back on the mat. Like I said, there's a better than even chance that I'll compete in July - if only to "wet my beak" in the right weight class as a blue belt.

Back to the karma ... I had such a tremendous time training for that stretch of six weeks from about the second half of March through the end of April. I was on the mat 21 times in six weeks (with one week to go before the Submission Wrestling League event!), which is a solid pace of 3 1/2 trainings a week. I can still remember sitting at my desk on Friday afternoon in early April, my body still shaking after the first time I ever trained for five days in a row. I felt totally dialed in, totally consumed. It was almost a religious experience.

I want it back. The rain. The pain. The riches.