Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Super Saturday

A great day of intramural jiu jitsu at the GB Seattle Academy Saturday morning and afternoon was followed by a fun night of mixed martial arts - including stoppage victories by both Wanderlei Silva and BJ Penn.
Wanderlei Silva
Get more pictures like this from SHERDOG.COM

B.J. Penn
Get more pictures like this from SHERDOG.COM

I'm not a huge Wanderlei fan. But the guy fights for the finish and has been part of some classic fights. He also lost three in a row - including back to back losses by knockout to Dan Henderson (whom Silva had defeated) and Mirko Cro Cop. A fourth loss in a row would have been devastating for "The Axe Murderer."

BJ Penn's victory is another story. Nothing against Sean Sherk, but I haven't wanted to see BJ win a fight nearly as bad as I wanted to see him finish Sean Sherk. Penn was a total assasin: methodical, accurate, deadly.

The intramurals Saturday morning and afternoon were the perfect prelude to the UFC event. Even though work intruded (again) both before the tournament and during the UFC (actually during the damn Penn/Sherk fight!!!), it was still a great day. It was actually a little sad because there would have been a perfect spot for me in the 160 and under bracket competing against Bryan, Sauleh and this guy Dominick, who I didn't recognize. Jason "Garcia" competed instead, in both the under 150 and under 160 divisions. He's one tough guy.

Still plotting my return for June 9th. I'm going to be switching back to night training because now that I have one of those classic "promotions without raise", it's just that much harder to do the afternoon training.

The good thing is that I can still use the fact that I'm working from home to get in some good supplemental resistance and cardio work. Today was Berardi complexes for a warm-up and then a six exercise "Pull" routine. All was pretty good except for the flyes and one-arm pullovers, which were murder on my right labrium. I'll track that over the next few weeks and see where we end up.