Friday, July 25, 2008

Comin' Home

If I'm going to train on the occasional lunch, then I might as well do for the whole roll.

I got in some very rare lunch time training today, making it to the academy by noon and staying until 1 p.m. It was like coming home.

It's funny. I started out training in the evenings at the old Tully's location. But ever since the academy moved to Sodo, I think I've trained as much during the day as during the evening.

And some of the best training I've ever done has happened at Sodo during the day. That great stretch of five weeks before I hurt my shoulder this spring, a span that included one week where I trained five days in a row for the first time, was responsible for a huge burst in my development. I finally felt like I had "grown into" my blue belt a little bit.

So being at the academy in the full of the day was a real treat. That said, there's really no point in arriving at noon. The sparring starts at 12:30 p.m. and the class at 11:45 a.m. Fifteen minutes earlier or thiry minutes later makes more sense. And after listening to Dr. Kiev, I don't need to say any more about that.

We'll see what we can do. I think there are a couple of different ways to get six hours a week on the mat.