Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Marceloguard: "They Pass with Their Hands"

From the always helpful Aesopian, "Becoming a Better Butt Scooter.

Most of what Aesopian writes, I remember. My basic problem is that I treat the Marceloguard like the closed guard - meaning, a guard I can hang out in and be defensive.

It really, really, really doesn't work that way.

I've already signed on to the Armdrag City pledge, and will get a chance to try it out tomorrow night. But the main idea is that I have to do a better job of initiating contact, of starting the game as Saulo puts it. For me, I suspect attacking the wrists with the occasional move to the collar for chokes and snap downs will be what works. The trick is to be consistent: arms can either go inside or outside, draw back or extend. I need to have a response to whichever direction I am given.

Was too worn out today to do the planned workout, so I just took a 2-2.5 mile walk around the neighborhood to get the blood flowing. Until I get the hang of the 2/3/4 days, that might be the best I can hope for on Tuesdays.

More vitals on the Marceloguard.
1. Control the hands. This is simply the most important thing I have taken from him. Last week I wrestled my instructor. I could tell he was surprised when my first defense was to keep both wrists controlled. Marcelo says “they pass with their hands.” After grabbing his wrists he started fighting to get something free and I got an arm drag.

If you watch Marcelo from standing or seated his arms are up looking to control the guy’s hands. I have never seen him teach this or make much of a point of it except when I wrestled him. He said that was the first thing to defending guard.

2. Keep your weight over your legs when seated. Do not lay down. This makes your guard agressive. It is great to defend against him grabbing your pants or controlling your legs. Your head is over your feet, elbows in and your hands looking to control his hands.

Many of his arm drags from seated come because of what I posted above.

3. This is also a great way to defend against standing passes. If they step between your legs scoot back and insert that side hook. Keep doing that and you will stop them from dropping the knee over the thigh to pass. Never let them pick up your ankles or grab your knees. Again, leaning forward and controlling the hands stops most of this.

--from Leo Kirby