Monday, October 27, 2008

Here's to Health!

Not the best of times on the health front. After a great training day on Saturday, I started feeling a little creaky on Sunday. By Sunday night, while I was working on my articles for the Daily Planet, I was losing it: congestion, headaches, chills, sore throat ... The same fare I was dealing with two weeks ago.

I worked as much as I could today, though I'm still falling behind with a few projects (editing a 20-page interview transcript, an article for Futures magazine, a new series on trading exchange-traded funds ...). But I spent the majority of the day sleeping - first on the futon then crashing in bed once my last piece of daily delivery was turned in for the day.

So I missed Monday night's training - my favorite night of the week to train - and am not sure if I'll be on the mat Tuesday night. With the tournament coming up in two weeks time, I could use all the training I can get - even if I've decided that the November event will have to be a work-through tournament.

Regardless, I need to get and stay healthy. I can't tell if I've just relapsed back into the cold I had two weeks ago or if, in my I am Legend-like existence working from home, I was re-infected with a new cold virus sometime late last week. And between the tasks piling up at work and the urgency of tightening up my game for the tournament, there's not a lot of room for what I feel I need most: rest.

We'll see what happens. I had a great time rolling on Saturday. I finally got to try out the north-south choke that Jeff Monson, Marcelo Garcia and Rani Yahya have been popularizing and got two submissions with it. I'm really thinking that north-south will be my finishing position - armlocks, kimuras and, now, this north south choke that is just starting to work.

But it is hard to stay motivated when you just feel like curling up on the futon and burying yourself under every blanket you can get your hands on.