Thursday, October 09, 2008

The Missing Link: Rear Mount?

One of the things I have really neglected in my half guard game is a take-the-back move. I'm thinking that my new emphasis on "rocking" from half guard and deep half guard to goad some motion out of the guy will help encourage me to make that move a more regular part of my attack from the half guard.

I've got a halfway decent rear naked choke, like my half guard pass, I feel as if I've "figured it out" a little bit. By that, all I mean is that I can remember all the ABCs of the move, that I can see a thru-line from the first thing I'm supposed to do all the way to the sweep/pass/submission I'm after.

But I can't work my RNC if I don't spend more time in rear mount. I don't want to give up on what is working for me right now from the mount - and I know that the sooner I build a knee on belly game the more mobile I'll be from on top. But between the RNC and the conversion armlock (the one Werdum finished Lindland with one of my favorite matches to watch of all time), I've actually got some weapons I feel comfortable deploying. It's just a matter of putting myself in the right position to use them.