Thursday, April 02, 2009

Thursday Training

Good training on Thursday, a no- gi session. We worked a lot on pummelling from the standup, which was a good workout for muscle endurance in the shoulders. I worked with both Lance and Stephen, and it really got my delts burning after awhile.

My favorite move from the clinch is still the duck under. I can see why Shawn likes it so much. That said, I've been working a lot on my shoot over the past few days, trying to build up some good muscle endurance and strength in my quads so that I can go for single legs, double legs, fireman's carrys, etc. without hesitation. Combined with a good duck under and arm drap high game, a low game with an easy first step/penetration step makes a lot of sense.

No gi tatame was interesting as usual. I spent a lot of time working from the half guard and though nothing spectacular came of it, it was good to feel out my half guard game for no gi. I've got a month to prepare technically for the no gi, 4-minute match style of Subleague and tightening up my half guard makes a lot of sense. I'm still faltering more than I'd like in my half guard pass and need to work the switch more often, if only to open up the passing possibilities some more.

My weight is staying nice at low. I was about 153.8 after Thursday's training. The temptation to go for the featherweight, 149 and under, division is huge and if I can make it a habit of weighing in under 154 after training (3% above the 149 limit), then I think I'll be able to do it. It's a day-of weigh-in, so I really need to get as light as possible as soon as possible and then just adjust to the new caloric/cardio regime. At Subleague, I'm likely to have 4 matches or more, so I'll need to arrive feeling strong, not "here just to make weight" dehydrated.

For now, my goal is to make 149 (or 148.9) the Thursday before the GB Seattle Invitational. That will be a test run. If I can do that, do in and have my match or two in Bellevue, then I'm pretty certain I'll be able to repeat the effort two weeks later.