Friday, August 14, 2009

Training Day: Friday

A relatively light training week for me, skipping one out of my four conditioning sessions and only training three times this week. It's probably a good thing that only training three times a week feels a little like slacking.

Got to class a little late, but in enough time to get in on the main drill, which was another move from sitting guard. Here, the move was to sit up and wrap a leg and an arm around the knee-up leg, using your inside arm as a post behind you.

The sweeps were as you might imagine. There was a sit-out sweep, where you kept the leg pinched and turned your hips outward. To get leverage to finish the sweep, circle around toward the back.

The other main sweeps were variations on collar/sleeve pulls with a knee block. Rodrigo also showed us a sweep where you scoop the free leg if he brings it up high to balance or attack. The sweep has you scoop the leg, load it on your shoulder, and X-guard hook your legs on the other leg. Another sweep had you do a sort of backroll which I tried once with some limited success.

Not a bad day on the mats. It felt a little abbreviated for some reason - though that might just be an aspect of Friday training. Nothing in particular stood out. Top control remains good and the basic half guard game is still solid. I had a nice guard replacement moment during one session - something I'm not always able to pull off.

Would love to make it on the mat tomorrow but I don't see how I can swing it. Four times a week really is the right number, it seems, and a part of me feels like I came up a little short in terms of improvement this week. Not way short. But not quite where I wanted to be halfway through August. Fortunately, there's plenty of time to make that up.