Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Training Day: Tuesday

Kind of a zombie training tonight ... I never really felt entirely there - at least not until my calf seized up like a stone just as we started sparring (but fortunately after the specific guard/pass guard work). I was moving through the motions - and not doing a half bad job in most respects. But it just wasn't jelling mentally.

It's the kind of thing I usually expect to happen on a Monday - which is one reason why I've become such a big fan of training on Monday: to get the rust and funk out of my system. Like I said, it was a strangely positive physical experience: technique was good in a number of instances and my cardio continues to surprise me with its improvements. But my brain was all feedback and white noise.

The class was mostly focused on avoiding the toreano pass by stiff arming the passers inside arm and, with your other arm posted behind you for support, escaping your hips away. There was also a turtle move that Rodrigo showed us. But I don't think we ever really got all the way to the sweep.

Then again, maybe we did and I was totally nublado about it.

As anti-climatic anniversaries go, tonight's training was about perfect. I got a massive calf cramp immediately after a half guard sweep and ended up having to cut training about two sparring sessions short. I'm especially annoyed because I drank about 40 ounces of Gatorade in the hours before training and took a potassium/magnesium pill beforehand, as well. Didn't seem to matter.

I cramped up a bit Monday night also, but managed to ride it out. I thought I could again tonight, but the cramp was hard and immediate when it finally came on strong.

I'm going to try and seriously bump up my water consumption for the next month or so and see if I can avoid this kind of thing. It totally shuts me down for the session and even though it tends to happen late when it does happen, I could have really used some more training.

I'd planned to take tomorrow off and train Thursday and Friday. Not so sure about that now.