Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Training Day: Wednesday

My first time taking the no gi class with Rodrigo on a Wednesday. I got there a little late, and missed most of the pummeling part of the warm-up (I did my aerobic power routine on the sidelines and joined in when it was time to do individual work like squats, push-ups, crunches, sprawls, etc.)

I felt great. I was operating on little more than a handful of cherries. But according to something I read somewhere, people who wake up between 5 am and 6 am reach their second anabolic peak around 11-12 (the first one comes between 7 and 8 am). I'm not sure what all it adds up to - but it seems to be a good time to train.

We worked on a new takedown off the over/under clinch. It was similar to the inside-to-outside sweep takedown from Tuesday, only without the grips of the gi. The main difference is that you don't get a grip behind the back with the no gi version and that it seems like you need to settle for landing in guard rather than the half guard with the "big step" of the gi version.

The other technique we worked on was a guard recovery - two of them actually. The first is the "running escape" out of side control where you step, roll and sit. The second was a back roll that set up the opportunity for both the kneebar and taking top position in his guard. I had a really hard time with this escape and counter and will probably just drop it unless Rodrigo teaches it again. It just didn't feel like it fit with what I do.

Tatame was very good. Good energy etc. I was able to work the Jacare top game with the kimura finish a couple of times. I like the fact that some of the video I've been studying over the past few days has started to show up in my jiu jitsu sparring: back control with the lapel grip and transition to side control to avoid being put back in the guard, and today with the kimura from side control/north south.

There are a few other things I want work on - like passing the inverted guard and escaping rear mount. And my Main Project of getting a coherent guard passing strategy remains a prime objective for August (and beyond). But a very nice mid-week on the mat.