Saturday, October 15, 2011

Training Day: Saturday

Some good training today, getting to work with a couple of up 'n' coming guys as well as putting myself to the test with an 8-minute roll with Sauleh. As far as the latter is concerned, it's all about making incremental progress, fewer mistakes, more efficiency, etc. And on that score, it was very successful, very rewarding training and I'm looking forward to next Saturday when Sauleh is slated to be back.

To the former, it is always good jiu-jitsu karma to be on the lookout for ways to help guys improve their game without taking too much away from the fun and spontaneity of Saturday training. Hopefully, I got a good mix of that. In the same way that the best performers are not always the best teachers or coaches (i.e., Michael Jordan and Larry Bird), I feel I do a better job of conveying information that I often do in putting that information into praxis, as the kids say. At the same time, I don't want to be so pedagogical that people feel that they can't just relax and roll. After all, as Mrs. Burien Top Team always says before sending me out the Academy, "Make sure you have FUN."

156.6 on the scale post-train, everything but the coat. Doing pretty well on the maxi/mini meal plan (one small meal during the day/one large meal after training), feeling as if I've got plenty of energy while keeping my weight in a very nice range.