Thursday, October 06, 2011

Training Day: Thursday

My second Thursday in a row and it's going to be hard not to make Thursday's a regular part of my training schedule, especially in the run-up to a tournament. For the past two weeks, we've gotten to work on Live takedowns and while I'm far rustier than I'd like to be, getting the feel of the standup before having to do it for real at a tournament (or even an in-house) is critical.

That said, I'm still far too tentative on the feet. My defense is good, most of the takedowns I'm getting right now are really just counters to my opponent's offense. But I've got to do a better job of getting into more advantageous positions, dealing with the distance to the hips for example. And at the end of the day, the only way to do it is to do it live.

Monday night are helping, especially in providing technique. It's just a matter of putting it together and putting it to work. Right now, that's what Thursday's are for.

157.4 on the scale post train. Steady as we go.