Thursday, August 02, 2012

Training Day: Wednesday

Armbars.  Armbars.  Armbars.  One of the reasons why my armbars have tended to be a weaker part of my game is that they involve a lot more hip work, a lot more total body coordination, compared to chokes.  I've always thought that you don't have to have a great armbar AND a great triangle.  But you've got to have one or the other - and I'm not convinced that a great omoplata is an appropriate substitute.

Not for any lack of trying.  These three techniques are foundation of the kind of hip mobility that makes jiu-jitsu unique. And yet I can't help but feel as if I've never really fully embraced the challenge of making one of these techniques a potential "go to" attack, especially from the guard.

By comparison, hand fighting comes easily - too easily, however much I'm learning to incorporate it into guard-to-guard transitions.  I'm doing a better job of making my knee shield a consistent part of my half-guard.  But I'm just now getting to the point where I'm attacking with the initial push-sweep.  If I've got the Modified Shaolin sweep2back down by the end of the year, I'll consider it a "win."

Good details on the armbar du jour: the armbar from the mount.  Keeping it tight with a coiled leg set-up on top, the off-hand posted deep under the opponent's chin (no fear).  Dropping back toward the legs (switching arms) and grabbing the leg to prevent the common escapes.  A very tight armbar - and all the more so if he steps over to counter and you roll in turn ...

A nice, light 159.6 midweek weigh-in.  Guard passing up.  Escapes sliding back toward ye sloppy.  In the immortal words of the S.O.S. Band, "baby, take your tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime."