Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Knee-Poppin Daddy

                       

There was absolutely nothing at all dramatic about my latest injury. I'm defending a deep half shin sweep, but my leg is a little too gathered up at the knee and a little move here and a little move there and pop! goes the ligament. At least that's my guess. The pop was audible and the inability to put any lateral weight on my right knee is pretty manifest. But I can walk and there's no crazy swelling so I figure a worse case scenario will have me non-sparring for a month and a half or so.

I've got a class to teach on Friday, and was planning to do another double. But the second half of that plan is 100% out of the question - as is the notion of training Thursday night that I'd been toying with up until my knee gave out.

Overall, I still think I'm doing okay as far as injuries are concerned. 2013 has been a little rough historically speaking: I popped my rib back in January, and looking back on my calendar for the previous training year (August 2012 to July 2013), it looks like I was back on the mat and training regularly by the beginning of March. So I'm hoping for a similar bounce back. In a perfect world, I would have gotten this injury two weeks from now; work is going to kick into high gear again at the beginning of August, so that would have been as good a time as any to slow things down.

165.3 on the scale, post-train. Plump as a plum, still. I don't imagine being sidelined for a little while will be great for keeping my weight down, but I've got to believe that 165 is at or near some sort of semi-natural limit.  I've got this trick with the pena weight class I'm been trying to do ... but you know that.