Thursday, March 30, 2006

Grappling Game Plan: April 2006: Day 1

Review of Wednesday, March 29th

Fortunately, Rodrigo had us doing a lot of specific work. I really think that's the way to go. A few guys got too gassed so he ended the specific work early and let us spar--though he let Joaobat and me do more with the guard ...

I like that I tried to follow the gameplan in my guard passing. I've still got major mechanical issues. But at least I'm implementing the plan. Fact of the matter is that if I were already capable of fulfilling the game plan, then it would be time to do another one.

With Joaobat, I managed to almost pass his guard. I waited until I got a cuff then immediately stood up on that side. I'm still keeping my elbow too wide and not tucked against my side when I do this, so I need to be careful.

Managed to get his other leg down and get my knee know immediately. Good. If I remember, though, I failed to hold down the leg until I was almost completely past his guard, and he managed to put me in half-guard. This happened both times that I opened his guard and moved to pass.

My work against Tommy Boy was a mess. He's much too good. He did show me a couple of thingss--Tom's always good about that--including how to use the gi to wrap up the arm when I try the "handcuff" guard pass set-up that's worked well against Arnell and Bruce (who is out with a bad ligament in his pinky finger). Tommy also pointed out that if I get double underhooks on the legs, that I need to raise the guy's hips just enough to get control and toss them to the side. If I keep going and try to stack the guy from this position, then I'm likely to get reversed.

Ended up banging my left big toe while rolling with Tommy. No biggie--I'll be back on Saturday. But I'm gimping about a little come Thursday ...

Rodrigo also showed us some half-guard stuff--including the hip switching half-guard pass I've wanted him to show us for months! I tried to use it when I got caught in Joaobat's half-guard during the pass drill, but he managed to reverse me both times. I'll still keep working it. I think I've got two half-guard passes now. I'll have to consult the archives.