Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday Up and At 'Em

Monday's class was regular size: Joe, Arnell, Robert the Blue, Jesse (Singh), a few newer guys whose names I still don't know, Big Mike and Maggie. I worked with Robert the Blue during the Level One part of the instruction.

Technques. Rodrigo has us work one-step armbars. First we did them by grabbing behind the elbow and chucking under the arm with the off-leg as we swung around in the direction of the trapped arm to execute the armlcok. Then, because we seemed to have so much trouble moving, Rodrigo had us do the same technique only holding the elbows. Then we swung back and forth from one side to the other applying the armlock.

It was a heck of a workout and a great drill. I wish we could begin every class with stuff like this--at least for us white belts.

We also worked the standing guard pass, which I am terrible at, still. This time, Rodrigo emphasized what to do once the guard has been opened. You want to drop your leg over the thigh of the guy's leg that is on the ground, pinning that leg down. Then stretch the other leg out toward the guy's head. As Rodrigo said, if the guy isn't flexible, then he might tap right there from the pressure (actually more of a stretch). Otherwise, use that position to take a backstep with the other leg (the leg that isn't pinning down), then switch into side control.

Lastly we worked two open guard sweeps. The first one is the open guard sweep that Stephan showed us awhile back. Grips on the cuffs, foot in the hip (toes pointed in) and leg hooked around the opposite leg near the ankle. Switch from side to side, going completely on your side when you make the transition. To do the sweep, switch hands, grab the ankle with the outside hand. Pull with that hand. Push with the foot in the hip (or stomach, more accurately). Pull on the cuff. Sweep with the lower leg.

The other sweep was a variation on that one. This time, with grips on cuffs, you put one foot in the belly (toes out) and one foot hooking behind the knee. Switch back and forth. To do the sweep, switch hands, grab the ankle with the outside hand. Pull with that hand. Push with the foot in the stomach. Pull on the cuff. Kick out with the behind-the-knee hook.

Sparring. I rolled with Arnell, Robert the Blue, Maggie, and Josh(ua). I managed to catch Arnell in an armbar. Robert and Maggie both got me in chokes. Josh caught me in some strange keylock/wristlock thing when we got tangled up in his side control. He gassed pretty bad after that, and we had to quit for the night.

Maggie commented about my breathing too hard. It was mostly exhaustion--though I suspect she thought it was because I was "trying to hard." Robert has warned me about my breathing also, so I should probably be on the look out for it. It's tricky business.

My excursion into the sitting up guard has been pretty mixed in terms of results so far. Mostly people have been able to pass it fairly well. I must not be grabbing that near arm to block them.

Robert and Big Mike were both desperately trying to finish me from rear mount. Robert managed to get the choke, but I was doing enough to keep Mike at bay by just ducking down and getting as much of my weight on the mat as possible (as Saulo Ribeiro recommends). I should really work that before Rodrigo introduces his escape from rear mount so that I'll end up with two rear mount escapes.

I want to try and focus on what I can work on with different people I spar with. If there is one general point, it is that I need to figure out ways of making that Marcelo Garcia guard work better. Or at least stop people from rushing to my side--which people have been able to do with impunity. I'll check out The Essential Guard tonight, as well as the Marcelo Garcia highlight--which should provide some tips. One thing I know Marcelo does is get a hook in to limit their ability to move around you. That hook also makes it easier to swing around them and take their back.