Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sweet New Choke

I'll post notes about tonight's class and assorted other matters tomorrow night. There's a tournament coming up that I'm probably going to be competing in, and a whole bunch of other jiu jitsu notes worth mentioning

Anyway, I'm watching 101 Submissions Part 2 after class tonight. What's cool about this choke is that it is part of the guillotine family, and I'm impressed by how many times the guillotine is available in sparring. But I find the guillotine hard to finish with. I've actually used the guillotine best in the same way that Stephan Bonnar uses the kimura from the guard: as a way of getting a reversal.

Here's a choke from Noman Rana of Tiger Martial Arts.

Basically you get a good grip on the collar with your right hand. DON'T HESITATE TO USE YOUR LEFT HAND TO FEED THE COLLAR TO YOUR RIGHT. Loop your right hand under the neck toward your right. Now you need a fulcrum. The fulcrum ("the pivot about which a lever turns") comes from your left arm and hand.

Take your left arm. Make sure your elbow is behind/on top of the guy's head. Keeping tight, stuff your left hand under your right arm at the elbow.

The choking pressure comes from the right hand that is pulling the collar to the right--and the fulcrum provide by the left arm and hand: the arm keeps the head down, the hand hooks under the right arm at the elbow, providing a fulcrum for the choking pressure from the right hand.

I think that once the fulcrum is in place (i.e. the left arm and hand in this example), all you have to do is pull with the right, "choking" arm.

I like this as an alternative to the guillotine (which I still like for sweeps). I can't help but wonder if some of the brown belts I've rolled with (Paul and Spencer come to mind) haven't caught me in a similar gi choke. I'll look it up in my books. But for now, I'm calling it the Rana Choke.

I hope I've done a decent job of explaining it. It's a classic example of how technique accomplishes a great deal when properly applied. I definitely want to include this choke in my armory.