Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Grub

I may or may not be a finely tuned machine when it comes to jiu jitsu. But I am definitely a finely tuned machine when it comes to my diet: if I don't get the right grade of fuel at the right time, then I'm going to pay for it at the earliest opportunity.

My cardio was terrible tonight. There are probably a number of factors, including some lingering soreness in my hips and upper quads from Thursday's no gi class. But while recovery was not too bad, I just didn't have the physical ability to move the way I wanted to move. I could tell even in the warm-up when we were running around in circles . By the time we were sparring, it couldn't have been more apparent.

For now, though, I'm blaming the grub. Not enough carbs for training. I had Asian flank steak and baby spinach/baby green salad for lunch, and had meant to include a half potato. For dinner (3 p.m.--my pre-training meal), I'd planned to carb-load with chicken fried rice, more salad and a 40 of Gatorade. Instead I ended up with some eggrolls from Lee's (my favorte eggrolls in town, I'll confess) and the Gatorade.

At this point, when I'm technically still in recovery-from-holidays-etc. mode, that's really not going to work. So I'm going to have to make sure I get that half-potato at lunch, and the fried rice at dinner. I'm a little preoccupied with the fact that I'm a few pounds over 160 this late in the week. Maybe there was something subconscious at work; I know I don't want to spend next week killing myself to make sure I'm under 159.

But restricting the carbs that much is making for some subpar training. A few days of LSD (long, slow distance) on the treadmill, at least two out of the Friday/Saturday/Sunday set, and careful monitoring of what I eat over the weekend, should help me get deeper under 160.

So let's stick to the menu--especially on training days. It's cheaper and tastier than anything on California Avenue, anyway.

Training Days:

9:00 a.m.: salmon, 1/2 bagel with cream cheese, melon/fruit juice
10:30 a.m.: iced green tea, 1/2 berry yogurt, mixed nuts
12:00 p.m.: meat, salad, potato/pasta
1:30 p.m.: iced green tea, 1/2 berry yogurt, mixed nuts
3:00 p.m.: fried rice, salad with anchovies, 40 oz Gatorade