Monday, January 29, 2007

Tournament Week

Worked up a new, three-stage training regimen/periodization schedule last night. Basically, as long as I train jiu jitsu on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, then I’ll do cardio Monday and Thursday mornings, resistance on Tuesday and Saturday mornings and take Wednesday morning and all day Friday and Sunday off. The way it works out is, starting Monday morning, I go three sessions (morning, evening, morning), then get two sessions off (evening, morning), then three more sessions on (evening, morning, evening), then two sessions off (morning, evening).

Hopefully that should be a nice combination of work and rest. I got to bed at 10:30 p.m. last night and felt really pretty good getting up this morning. That extra hour (i.e., hitting the sack at 10:30 p.m. instead of 11:30 p.m.) might make a world of difference. I got up and did what might be the new Beaster cardio routine (i.e., two miles instead of one and a half) and burned a nice 300/75+ calorie split in a little over half an hour.

Monday weigh-in was not great: 166.9 (dressed, no shoes). I’d like that to be 160.9 (dressed, no shoes) by Friday. That’s six pounds in a week. Perfectly doable. My Sunday diet was not as clean as it could have been; actually it was relatively typical. I did a decent amount of yardwork, which probably helped some. But the 10 p.m. sandwich probably wasn’t necessary. I’ve still got this terrible habit of eating late on Sunday nights …

I’ll be doing a modified Sponge diet this week. It’s a little on the extreme side, but I want to make sure that the pounds start coming off as soon as possible.

Monday: Regular breakfast, regular lunch, regular dinner
Tuesday: Regular breakfast, Isopure lunch, Isopure dinner
Wednesday: Regular breakfast, Isopure lunch, Isopure dinner
Thursday: Isopure breakfast, Isopure lunch, Isopure dinner
Friday: Same as Thursday but with water and Gatorade restriction

Monday through Thursday should involve pretty heavy water drinking, iced green tea and Gatorade. The “Isopure” meals will consist of 10 ounces of Isopure clear (20 g protein), an ounce of cheese (7 g protein) and a green salad with anchovies or veggies, depending on what is available.

I’ve got a basic gameplan for the event on Saturday. But the main idea of the gameplan is to stick with the gameplan, win or lose. I’m increasingly convinced that fights are won by superior gameplans as much as they are by superior skills, and given that I’m not likely to run into too many people against whom I’ve got superior skills now that I’m no longer a white belt, I want to put a premium on coming up with a solid gameplan and sticking with it when the match starts.

I’ve got an idea of how I want to take things from the start, from standup. And some ideas about what I want to do on the ground. I’ll take Tommy’s advice and be somewhat discrete about posting my plans in advance. But there aren’t too many secrets to what I’m about on the mat: get the takedown, get dominant position, and get the submission.