Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Standing Against the Guard

Reading a thread at Jiu Jitsu Talk on "your favorite way to open the closed guard" got me thinking about this worst aspect of my game.

Most of these folks post at Jiu Jitsu Gear Forum also, so I'm not surprised at the number of good ideas. But in addition to the Sperry pass, which seems like a good technique to go to if my posture is completely shot (as it was in my first fight at Copa NW 8), I most appreciated the tips and reminders about standing against the guard: closed or open, gi or no gi.

Delicious Bass
establish posture and stand, the reason I think people have problems with standing techniques is that they don't control the distance with good posture before they stand. also it is important that you stand with your feet (at least one foot) forward past the hips of your opponent, remember you will be using your knees to monitor your opponents hips to defend against sweeps and armlocks.

HPF
... a good tip that helped me was at the moment I go to stand I was getting broken down. because to stand i kind of had to lean forward. Probably a simple thing but i wasn't doing it. Shawn told me to stand on my knees first. go directly vertical by just standing on your knees. then do what DB said ...

The Jeff
If someone has a great closed guard, has long legs, or is really strong you will not open their legs without baiting them or standing.

Roy says he stands to open the guard whenever he is serious about the match.