Monday, January 29, 2007

A Monday of Missed Moments

It could have been worse, but last night's class left more than a few things to be desired.

I came into training last night with two particular goals: work the GTS and present a more capable half-guard came. I failed pretty miserably on both counts.

With regard to the GTS, I need to remember that posture is key and that if I don't have posture, I'm not going to be able even get the pass started. I tried the GTS against Clint, who is back after a month of infrequent training, and he broke me down immediately. I didn't try again.

Clint also hopped over my half-guard like it was a picket fence. When I tried the half guard against one of the new white belts (Kyle?), he managed to both stretch me out and put his head on the outside, making it harder for me to come up to my side.

Kyle's move specifically is one that I need to think about. My suspicion is that I could have tried a twist from half-guard, but I hesitated and he managed to get his leg back to brace himself if I tried to take him the other way.

That only goes to underscore Rickson's point: In fights there comes a moment without fail, when an opponent makes a mistake. That moment cannot be missed.

So I'm missing moments. Clint also caught me in a triangle ... so it was like old times in that regard. I rolled with three guys, Clint, Mike and Kyle, who were really good at replacing the guard. I swear one of the most frustrating things on the planet Earth is passing the guard and then getting put back in the guard seconds later.

I got scratched on the neck somehow tonight and, what's worse, another shot to my left eye. It is slowly coming back toward normal, but I really can't take too many more shots like that. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I keep getting popped like that. I don't think my right eye has even been brushed. But damn if I'm not taking it in the left every other week to one degree or another.

What a tradeoff! I've never had a popped elbow or knee. But I've got a bum left cornea that just doesn't seem like it is going anywhere ...

There's a temptation to turn this into a bitch post, and that's not going to do anybody any good. I'm hoping for a more positive practice on Wednesday, which is likely to be the last gi training before the event on Saturday. I'll get a session in on Thursday. It is schedule to be no gi, but you never know what Mamazinho will do given the tournament that weekend ...

Today I get one solid meal for sure, breakfast. I'm still undecided about lunch ... maybe a little protein and some salad. I weighed in at 162.4 at the academy last night after training. That's not bad; I'm three and a half pounds over. With any luck (and more than a little discipline), I should be under 160 by the end of Wednesday's practice. That's about two and a half pounds in two days. Very doable.

Ah ... what can you say? Jiu jitsu ain't no crystal stair. It was nice to roll with Clint again, even if it had a bit of a "Monday morning ... here we go again" feeling to it. His triangle is just money; nobody catches me with anything as consistently as he catches me with that triangle.