Saturday, February 09, 2008

0-2

Just a quick report on the February event. I lost two matches, the first to the eventual second place finisher and the second to a guy who lost 0-2 in his first match. The first loss was by a collar choke at about 4:31, a choke I'd been fighting off for about a minute and a half before he finally got it. But his positioning and tenacity paid off. The choke I tapped to was tight.

The second loss was similar to the first, though the guy didn't have the technical skill of my previous opponent. He did feel stronger, and was able to maintain dominant position for most of the match. I was actually surprised at how strong he was. There were a few near-scrambles that I thought I could wrestle my way out of, but he was too much. I lost on points.

Brian down at featherweight (remember that 154.9 line?) lost his first but won by submission in his second. Very good for him; I'm pretty sure it was his first tournament as a blue belt.

And Lindsey won our division, dominating his first match, escaping far too many guillotines to win his second, and avenging my loss (if you will) by beating the guy who choked me out to win the gold in his third and final gi fight of the day.

Overall a very good day for Gracie Barra. The event was very well run, in my opinion. Jeff is getting it down to a science. I heard that bad weather east of town kept some of the East Washington teams away. But the turnout seemed to be okay and there were tons of white belts.

I'll link to the tournament results as soon as they're posted.