Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday's Training

161.6 lbs after class. Not good. A three-pound miss.

I don't know what I expected after the weekend, and Super Bowl weekend, at that. I stuck to Rebecca's viniagrette cole slaw to go with my patented Big Daddy's Nine Spice Ribs for the Super Bowl feast--which probably was okay. But then I succumbed to the traditional Sunday night, "ugh, here comes the workweek" snacking, with the predictable results on the scale 18 hours later.

Good things from training today: I was a few minutes late, but we went right into specific sparring drills. I'm doing much better with both my flower sweep and my "poosh tha guy" sweep from the Cobra after not being able to break posture from the closed guard. I think I hit both sweeps two or three times, which was pretty incredible.

Not-so-good things from training today: My half-guard is still far too ineffectual. I did a better job at keeping the sticky paw grip, and in fighting for the underhook. But I've got to, got to, got to work harder to get on my side.

I think one trick might be to hipsscape back to get some space to reset the half guard and get more thoroughly on my side. This, more than anything, is killing me in the half.

Conditioning-wise, I was about at a C+, typical enough for a Monday, I suppose. I won't be back on the mat until Wednesday afternoon and I'll tell you what: if we offered afternoon classes on Tuesday and Thursday I think I'd train everyday.

At any rate, given my 158.6 goal for Monday and my Monday actual weigh-in of 161.6, I need to get to 157.2 if I'm going to make 154.9 by Thursday night (when I have to register).

Truth told, I'm thinking about registering for the heavier 155-169.9 division. If I register for 154.9 and under and miss when I weigh-in on Friday, then I'm disqualified. That or try and sweat the extra pounds off--which I refuse to do the night before a tournament. So, to be on the safe side, registering for 155 and up may make the most sense. After all, there's no chance that I'll weigh more than 169.9, is there?