Friday, February 22, 2008

Submission Wrestling League Qualifier May 3

The next area event looks to be the Submission Wrestling League qualifier on Saturday, May 3rd.

Submission Wrestling League

The qualifier will be held at West Seattle High School, the same location as the last Revolution tournament. It is the third qualifying event, the first two being held on March 8th and April 5th in Hillsboro, Oregon.

What is especially interesting about this no gi tournament is that it is submission only, as they say "no judges, no points, no kidding." Competitors fight everyone in their group, and the fights are ruled either "submission" or "draw."

I have to admit I'm pretty excited for this event. One wrinkle are the divisions. First, of course there is no "masters/senior" division. Second, the lightweight division runs from 150-169.

That means I can either compete against the same sort of guys I competed with at the last Revolution tournament, or drop down to 149. There is also no "night before" weigh-in. You weigh-in right before you compete just like in the IBJJF competitions.

Funny thing is that even though I've not been able to train this week because of work, I've managed through some home conditioning and caloric restriction to get down to about 155. I'm following a modified Gracie Diet, which is really letting the pounds fall. Can I get under 150 by the beginning of May? That would be one hell of a feat, especially considering how I stumbled trying to make 154.9 a few weeks ago. And that was at a night-before weigh-in!

We'll see. I feel great at 155 right now. Could I really shave off another five pounds over the next 60-75 days?