Monday, June 02, 2008

How To Train Like Marcelo Garcia

"I remember the first time Iran showed me how to properly apply the triangle choke on an opponent in my guard. For the longest time I had been trying to lock in the choke using just my legs, and rarely did I have success due to the shortness of my limbs. But when Iran showed me how to move my hips in order to obtain the proper angle, it made all the difference.

From that moment out, I became obsessed with the triangle. I learned how to apply it from nearly every position, both from the top and bottom. For some time, I'm sure my training partners and opponents thought it was the only submission I knew. I was under the assumption that trying to master a whole bunch of techniques at once wouldn't get me very far. I figured a better approach would be to pick one technique and learn it inside and out."

--Marcelo Garcia, from THE X GUARD