Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ground Guard Passing Gold

No other way to describe it. Many thanks to Dutch Assassin BJJ, where I first discovered these videos of the Sao Paulo/Tozi/Wilson Reis passes.

First, the standard version.


Here is another version, in which you throw your weight back instead of forward.


And here is still yet another approach. Pure smash.


And lastly, here's a nifty move to counter the foot-in-the-hip attempt to gain control. Shift your hips and make it an opportunity to pass to the half guard.


I've pledged to make standing to pass the guard a larger part of what I do from the top. But at the end of the day, all I want to do is pass the damn guard consistently and effectively, and whatever ends up working for me is what I'll stick with. That was the way I discovered my half guard game (or, maybe, the way my half guard game discovered me), so I'm going to take the same approach when it comes to passing the guard.