Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday Training

Nice class tonight. We worked on combination moves for the most part. We started with the hook sweep from sitting/butterfly guard to mount, and then working the Ezekiel choke from mount.

One nice detail about the Ezekiel was how Rodrigo had us move lower and then up the body to help get your upper arm/shoulder under the guy's chin. I've always focused on keeping the guy's head straight with the Ezekiel, but it is much more important to get the chin up. The shoulder of justice does that.

The next combination move was hook sweep from sitting guard/butterfly guard to mount and then going for a basic collar choke. When the guy upas and turns to avoid the choking pressure, you switch to S-mount.

From S-mount we did the basic rear choke, the bow and arrow choke and the armlock.

All good stuff, and moves that I can definitely incorporate into my game.

Tatame wasn't too bad. We did some specific guard/guard pass work to start and I was doing a pretty good job of attacking with 101 and standing guard passes in general. I was doing a lot of Royler style attacks with my outside leg sprawled wide as I circled toward the head. That, plus going the opposite direction, should help me improve my guard passing over the next few weeks and months.

I also want to review some of the guard passes that Marcelo Garcia showed us in his seminar. There was a moment when I was in a situation that was identical to one in one of those passes, but I couldn't remember the details. I'll have to be sure to check on that tonight or tomorrow.

156.4 after class. A very, very good number this early in the week.