Thursday, July 16, 2009

Training Day: Thursday

First time training no gi in a little while. Cindy is in recovery mode, I think, so Rodrigo taught the class and led the training for the day.

After some pummeling work standing, Rodrigo had us work an ankle pick from the underhook. To execute the pick from standing, you want to take a deep penetration step with the underhook-side leg (typically right leg). That deep penetration step is what makes it possible to lunge down with your opposite or free grip and catch the same side ankle.

We did a lot of interesting movement work. For example, we lined up along the wall with one leg up as if defending against a mount take from side control with the leg up. We practiced hipscaping out, swinging the free/outside leg over (as if to block the shoulder), and then pulling the other leg back through. It's a way of practicing that one key guard replacement without a partner, and something I want to add to my little regimen of things I'd rather do on the academy mat than my little $75 mat at home. I also don't have a wall that would work.

We worked on another pair of guard replacements. The first was a running escape to sit and guard recovery from under side control. The second started out as a running escape to turtle. But then if the guy moved to take your back such that his leg was between yours, you could reach between your legs and grab his leg, then do a forward roll into either a sweep or knee bar.

A pretty good night of training. No gi is always fun even if not as interesting to me ultimately as gi training. Interestingly, my favorite finish no gi - the katagatame or head and arm choke - also works with the gi, but I rarely go for it, except when I'm training no gi. Since I'm still trying to develop an advanced level, "go to" finish from the top, it's strange that I haven't spent more time trying to finish with the katagatame in the gi.

Belts and Stripes this weekend. I'm hoping to get at least one or two good rolls in, maybe 20 minutes worth combined. The temptation to train at the Eastside Academy at least once a week - ideally Thursday - is pretty strong. Unfortunately, I'd have to drive through some incredible rush hour traffice at 167 to Auburn plus the 520-exit area before I even got to I-90. The only other way to stitch together 4 gi trainings in a week is to train MTWF, pretty much my original plan.