Thursday, July 30, 2009

Training Day: Thursday

We skipped the running because of the heat and went straight to the gymnastic calisthenics her warm-ups always include.

The instruction was pretty much classic stuff: the arm stuff triangle, the transition to omoplata if he hides his arm to avoid having it brought across, and the omoplata roll if the guy tries the step-over move to avoid the omoplata pressure.

I got in a few rolls: a young guy I didn't recognize (who was also my partner during the drills/instructional), a visiting black belt and Angela - who almost caught me in an armlock after evading my half guard. I had some good success with my go-to sweep from half guard - which never gets old, as far as I'm concerned.

A good night on the mats. The kind of nice training you can have when you're still months away from the next competition and the last one has already been filed away in the memory banks. Things should stay nice and slow for another month as summer plays itself out in earnest (record temperatures here in Seattle), and it seems like a great time to maximize my training time before training gets more specifically "goal-oriented" in September and October.