Monday, July 13, 2009

Training Day: Monday

Lindsey had us working from and against the scissor sweep. His counter to it was interesting, and something with potentially broad applicability. Essentially, he would pancake the top leg as soon as the guy brought it up. He'd grab the top of the pants by the belt for hip control and the leg by the knee to keep from getting put back in the half guard. From here, up on toes with weight down heavy on the top leg, try to smash the legs together as you walk on tip toes (but still heavy) around to side control.

The review of the basic scissor sweep was nice. I used to get killed by Shaka with this sweep, or an open guard variation of it, and have just started to add it to my game. I remember getting swept by Sauleh in my second-ever match against him with an open guard scissor sweep, also. I'm starting to include it, especially when I'm sparring against white belts and smaller opponents.

Lindsey also likes the armstuff triangle from Rap Star. I'm not a big fan of triangles from the bottom. But it's a solid technique.

A roll with Andrew and a roll with Mike. I got a little sloppy in the guard with Andrew, the half guard. I need to watch that. I did a better job of not panicking in Mike's guard, especially when he went to replace it, which has historically been very difficult to deal with.

The trick right now is to try and replace as much bad jiu jitsu karma with good jiu jitsu karma. I'm not quite at the "lemons to lemonade" moment, but training tonight with my GB Seattle team-mates went a long way toward washing what was bitter about Saturday out of my system. It's true: Mat Time Cures All Ills.

153.8 on the scale post-train. One of my goals will be to stay down at this level, on the light side of 155. Ramping up the aerobic work (LSD Sun/Mon/Wed/Thu) will help make that very doable.

At the spring Revolution, the good news was my half guard. This past weekend, the half guard actually came through again - if the referee's confession is to be believed - and I was able to add takedowns, particularly the Jacare, going 3 for 3. I need to do a better job of landing outside of the guard. But that's a detail that can be fixed and drilled with a sense of confidence.

So that leaves two pieces: passing the guard and finishing from a dominant position. And I've got 17 weeks - about four months - to burn those pieces into place.