Friday, January 29, 2010

Training Day: Friday

Rodrigo continues to redesign the regular classes, with the latest addition being a Self-Defense segment on Fridays. When you add this to what he's been doing with the takedowns at least once a week, I have to say that I'm really liking how things are developing at GB Seattle this year.

After the self-defense work, we spent the rest of the class working takedowns, more or less the same sorts of drills that we did on Tuesday. I fared about as well, my reverse pivot and seionage getting better and faster all the time. But I'm still hesitant to attack with throws during takedown drills, opting instead for trips and picks. That's something, hopefully, that will get worked out of my system the longer we work on the standup.

Still feeling a little sluggish on the mat, which I attribute to being still above 160. Monday night is the first night where I want to start weighing in under that number - and staying that way through the Revolution tournament on March 13. That shouldn't be much of a problem, as I step up my training frequency both on and off the mat beginning with Week 3 on Monday.