Sunday, January 10, 2010

Twas the Night Before Pre-Week

Pre-week starts tomorrow - pre-pre week having been a disaster of non-discipline and post-holiday slackerdom. I managed to get on the mat Monday and Wednesday, but my off-mat conditioning will have to start this week.

I'm scheduled to train Monday, Wednesday and Friday of this week, with some LSD on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Jeff from the Revolution has confirmed that the lightweight range for the Revolution in 2010 will be 149-162, in other words, the IBJJF no-gi weight classes, which is a nice way of working around the "weigh-in in the gi before competing" issue. That is perfect for me. I'm about 155 when I'm training regularly and eating normally - a little less when the cardio goes up and the calories tick down. So this range should offer me very little challenge over the next few weeks. Staying consistent will be the trick.

Early on in this camp, I want to focus on standing to pass the guard (of course), being more aggressive from half guard - including introducing butterfly and half butterfly games, and taking the back. I feel like 2010 will be a great opportunity to really forge my game, and there are a few areas in particular that I'd really like to put maximum emphasis on. Starting early in the year, early in the training camp, will be key to helping develop the good circuitry, the right habits that will make any improvements stick.