Friday, November 19, 2010

Training Day: Friday

A nice Live Training/Open Mat session on Friday. Unfortunately, I almost broke Pat's neck during the back/escape the back specific drills. I almost never take the back and, when I do, I often look to transition to the mount or side control. My relatively faint acquaintance with the position had a lot to do with my inability to move or, more to this point, the shoulder roll from taking the back from turtle to taking the back with hooks. Rather than pick a side, I ended up going directly over Pat's head which, planted on the mat, ended up taking a lot of stress on his neck.

Hopefully he's feeling better. Neck injuries are scary things. Both Rodrigo and Cindy has pretty serious neck injuries for awhile and though they both seem to be fine now, I can't help but get anxious any time the neck gets involved.

Good training with Pat (up until aforementioned near neck-break), Jesse and a couple of other guys I rarely train with like Tom (wrestling coach). I'm all deep half guard, all the time, and trying to make that commitment to attacking the guard from standing which is really going to be (read: "has long been") a make or break issue for my jiu jitsu future.

Fat as a cow at 165 and change, post-train, everything but the coat. I'll give myself a break in this post-compete week. But starting Monday it's back at it. We are doing a smaller tournament with Marcelo Alonso, Foster and Five Rings on Sunday (yuck) December 12, and I thought I heard something about doing another one in January. The next Revolution will be on March 5th.

My shoulder has been aching again a bit, so I ordered some more Cissus - two bottles this time so that I can load up, keep up a good maintenance, and not run out so quickly. I think it was just starting to be really effective when I ran out last time. I'm also desperately seeking a white A2 GB gi. But it looks like GB is draining the inventory to make room for a new line of GB gear (including gis), which means nothing likely until 2011. I hope my sleeves hold up. I'm feeling a bit like the Strawman, these days.