Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Down. Out. Not Over.


I injured my foot sometime during training on Saturday. I didn't go to the doctor - and don't plan to insofar as the swelling is minimal and the pain only intermittent. But I'm pretty sure I have something along the lines of turf toe.

If this had happened a few weeks ago, then I think I'd've been fine for the Revolution this weekend. But, as it is, I'm still hobbling around, exacerbating the problem a bit by trying to walk and putting too much pressure on the ankle I've only recently stopped taping when training ...

Right now, I'm hoping to get back on the mat on Monday. I think what happened was a combination of a good hard week of training and my return to the treadmill after many months off the machine. I've probably put more hours on it than I should have - especially over the past week - and it looks like all that flexion has finally caught up with me.

Up until the craziness at The Daily Planet, I was feeling pretty good about competing in March. Not great, but "better than the last time", which is significant. Last week, when things started getting Soprano-like, I'll admit that competing was the last thing on my mind (as was moving to the other side of the country). But it's the bad hoof that seals the deal. It's not as if I was headed into the event as much of a favorite in any instance. There's little point of competing at 60% - or less. If I'm not in good enough shape to train, then I'm not in good enough shape to compete.

So that's that. Hopefully I'll get another opportunity to compete between now and the May Revolution. Maybe at a 3rd Seattle Open in April ...

For what it's worth, w/re2 the "offer I can't refuse", I know there's a lot of great jiu-jitsu in the north Jersey/NYC area. But I'm not going anywhere. So I'll either be watching and training a lot of jiu-jitsu here in Seattle in 2011 or I'll be watching and training a WHOLE lot of jiu-jitsu here in Seattle in 2011.