Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Training: The Road to the May Revolution

Technically, I'm in Week Two of the 8WeeksOut camp for the Revoution tournament in May. I'm hoping to use the momentum of missing the March Revolution due to late injury and still-fresh memories of a great Pan JJ Championship this weekend to get my training off to a solid start.

The big change is going to be in my training schedule. Training during the day is just too stressful, right now, and I feel too much as if I am constantly in a rush - both to arrive on time and to leave to get back to The Daily Planet.

So what I'm looking at over the next two months is this training Monday and Wednesday evenings, Friday afternoon and at the Live Training/Open Mat at Gracie Barra Federal Way on Sunday afternoons.

This locks up a four-day training week. If I can train on a Saturday, then maybe I'll skip the Sunday training. But we'll see how that goes.

With regard to conditioning, I'm focusing on aerobics early, of course. But I'm also doing more weightlifting than I have in a while - albeit mostly for muscular endurance purposes. I'm also stretching 6 times a week, alternating upper body and lower body to keep the sessions brief (and to keep myself from dreading it each evening).

I'm starting from a pretty low training ebb, with my four-week training average down to 1.0 after missing nearly three weeks with the toe/foot hyperextension. So it will be worth seeing how fast I can get that number up to 4.0 - Week Five of camp, at the earliest, doing the math.

One of the things that comes up time and time again in these interviews with guys and gals that have won the Pan is the focus and dedication that goes into it. A large part of what I have to do now is to figure out just how much I want to win - both in the runup to the May revolution, as well as in the run up to what will hopefully be my first appearance as a competitor at the Pan in 2012.