Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Training Day: Monday

Back on the ATM train. Rodrigo had us working from above and below the turtle, first the sit-out escape (head to left, crossgrip to left kneecloth, left widestep, stay tight), with an instant transition to the back and the clock choke. One point of emphasis here was to really pull on the wrist with the non-choking hand, opening up the elbow to prevent the rolling escape.

The rolling escape was the counter we trained. Here, the bottom guy closes that elbow to prevent it from being opened up, grips the far leg with the free hand, steps out on the same side and then rolls over the far side.

You end up in a sort of watchdog crossbody position where you want to continue to back into the guy's upperbody to drive the arm over the head. Here, there's an opportunity to use your knee and then bring your arm around behind the guy's head to trap the arm.

From here there were a variety of attacks, from armbars to chokes. The chokes seemed to work far better for me, but I know that I've become pretty biased in favor of chokes these days.

Live Training was not bad: two long sessions of around 12 minutes each. Mixed success with the Ezekiel from mount, but some nice work with the Faria sitting guard to back move I've wanted to try since the Pan last weekend. I need to work some kinks out of it. But anything that has me getting to the back is a good thing.

I was pretty fatigued after my last roll with Danny. Very, very tough guy who reminds me a little of Garcia in terms of speed and agility. I'd like to think that a lot of my lagging though had to do with my four-week training average dropping to its lowest level in a year. But I'll have a better idea of all of that after a week or two of regular training.

163.9 on the scale, post train. Not the worst place in the world to start, assuming it's a start.