Friday, February 03, 2012

Training Day: Friday

Conditioning and live training today, with an emphasis on the latter. After my warmup, I was only able to get through two sets of cardiac power workouts (spin move) before the regular class was over and Live Training about to start. I got in an eight-minute roll with Prof Casey, another eight-min roll with Prof Carlos and an almost 20-minute roll with Brian. Very good work - a lot of choke defense with the Professors, but that's how that goes.

Still trying to settle into my Feitosa guard pass. I'm starting to see the interconnectedness of the variations, the transitions, and looking forward to training it on some of the lower belts over the next couple of days and weeks to tune things up a bit.

As much as the RDLR spin move is popular with DLR players, I'm seeing a lot of utility with it for half guard guys (I'm including the X-guard and single X as half-guard variations). I need to drill it more to get a feel for what seems like an almost impossible way to get to back consistently. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating; Stephen Wanderer says that the RDLR spin move is all they do at Megaton's school in Phoenix. And we saw plenty of it at the last ADCC as well - especially among the smaller guys like Cobrinha and Rafa.

Speaking of smaller guys, 158.4 on the scale, post-train w/gi and belt. A four pound swing lower from Monday's post-train weight-in. More like this.