Saturday, February 25, 2012

Training Day: Saturday

A very vigorous class with Prof Carlos - both the Fundamental and the Competition team. We worked a lot out of the standup, with an ankle pick counter to the seoinage, a knee on belly leading to the spinning armbar finish. Here, some of the key details included:

1. posturing into the seionage to defend rather than turning to the side
2. stepping with the inside foot and turning the attacker in a circle down and toward you
3. leaving space on the takedown to enter with the knee on belly

We also worked on some takedown/takedown defense drilling, with the attacker having the gi down around the biceps to limit reach and the defender having hands behind the back. We worked this for awhile and it was both great conditioning and great fundamental drilling.

Some mount/submit from mount shark tank work finished things off for the instructional class.

I got in one good Live Training session with Dave a four-stripe blue belt who I've been training more and more with on Saturdays. And I'm continuing to find myself dealing with aggressive knee cross passes against my proto-half guard. I got in a lot of nice flow work afterwards with one of the white belts, which is always a great way to end a training day.

158.2 on the scale post-train. Nothing to brag about, but as long as Monday's post-train weight is near that, I'll be fine.