Monday, February 20, 2012

Training Days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Combining three training reports in one post is only a few parts laziness. It also means that I'm finally training at a really good clip.

This week marks the second week in a row when I've trained five times (Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). My 4-week training moving average is above 4.0 for the first time in a very, very long time. And while I'm feeling a bit of the stress on the body, I'm pretty pleased at the pace and wondering if things will only get better as the weather warms up and coming out of hibernation each day becomes that much easier.

Training this much also has allowed me to focus on some of the lessons of the week better than usual. I got to train both the spin-move pass v.s. the butterfly guard, and the toreano/X-pass footwork on three different occasions, really helping to burn the moves into my muscle memory. That's especially true with the spin move, which integrates well with my growing crucifix guard passing theory (more on that later).

Some very good sparring over the past few days with some lighter folks - as well as my regular doses of casca-grossas like Professor Casey. I got to train with Bennie from up north on Saturday, as well as Joe, both of whom were very tough rolls as always and a nice mix up and change of pace from some of the smaller folks I've been lucky enough to train with of late.

OK, weights over the past few, nothing spectactular. The next two weeks will represent the real push to 154, a weight I've made before, but not in the gi (I've weighed in as low as 152.1 as a blue belt years ago, no gi).

Thu: 160.5
Fri: 159.1
Sat: 158.6