Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Demian Maia - Postfight Interview

5 Questions with Demian Maia
Sherdog: How do you feel after your first loss?

Maia: I knew the first loss would come one day because I intend to fight for many years. As a matter of fact, though, it happened in a pretty unexpected manner because I was a little bit casual in the stand-up fight. I repeated two kicks. He got my timing down, and, the third time, he came with a straight punch and knocked me down. At the beginning of the fight, everyone is really strong, and I think the referee was right to stop the fight. I stood up well. I had no damage, and that’s most important. I pretty much believe that some things must happen in your life. For some reason, God prepares surprises for you, and that’s life. Maybe it was not the right time for me to challenge for the belt, but I’m very calm and will keep going.
Same clarity and intelligence I've always appreciated from Demian. Of course, the bad news is that he won't be competing at ADCC later this month. But it is great to hear that his spirits are still up and that he's getting ready to get back into action.