Sunday, September 06, 2009

Nogueira!!!


A thousand apologies ...

In all my weeping and teeth-gnashing over the defeat of Demian Maia, I have not given proper due to the current king of jiu jitsu in MMA: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira a.k.a Minotauro, for his epic battle and great victory over the legendary Randy "The Natural" Couture.
Nogueira Too Much for Couture at UFC 102
It was a dominating performance for the Brazilian heavyweight, who dropped Couture and looked close to submitting him with a D’Arce choke in the first round.

Though Nogueira controlled the majority of the match, Couture had his moments. The future Hall of Famers engaged in multiple wide-open exchanges with both fighters landing heavy blows in the center of the cage and along the fence.

Minotauro Speaks
When people say you can’t do it any more, you have to go back and prove you are still in the game and put on a great fight. That’s what I did. I worked hard, I’d never trained as much as I did for this one. I have a lot of respect for Randy, so I trained a lot.

Sherdog Grappling Forum Thread on Nog's great sweeps.