Saturday, September 19, 2009

Training Day: Saturday

Due to the ADCC Northwest Regionals, Saturday's training was pretty much an open mat. It was also another excellent Saturday of training.

I rarely get to train on Saturdays, but that may change. I have to admit, the past two times I've trained on Saturday have been really great. This time I got to work with Ro again, continuing to focus on guard and guard passing issues. But I also got to roll with the black belt Joe and brown belt Shawn.

What I most liked about my rolls with Joe and Shawn was that I able to keep moving, to keep fighting for escapes or to replace guard. It is easy to get to a point with guys like this where you don't feel as if anything you do is going to work. But as I learned during a memorable roll with Rodrigo probably a year ago, what is important is that you keep working for better situations, to improve a situation as much as you can, to keep alert and active for the opportunity to turn a miserable situation into something close to neutral.

I also was impressed that my aerobic conditioning seems to be back on line. We'll see as Week Two my training camp begins. But it may be the case that I haven't lost too much from that week and a half I spent in semi-convalescence to start the month.