Monday, September 21, 2009

Training Day: Monday

Got to the academy a little late - I think I'm still adjusting to the return to 5:30 p.m. I don't have nearly the issues that a lot of folks do, but I still need a bit of a running start to get there on time.

Rodrigo and Lindsey were team-teaching the class again. We worked the morote seionage warmup, focusing on the footwork rather than the handiwork. The practice I've been doing off the mat has really paid off in terms of keeping my balance as I make the turn and squat into the prime throwing position. This practice will be a part of my off the mat conditioning program going forward.

Monday is a Beginners' class, so the instructional was based on some of the key 20 fundamentals that Rodrigo has been focusing on. Today, we focused on moving from side control to knee on belly and then from knee on belly to mount. I worked with two white belts - and spent more time than I ever had with a knee grinding into my chest/stomach/etc. But it was good stuff. I really enjoy working with white belts from time to time. It's a great way to re-understand the fundamentals.

I rolled with Scott of the Endless Guard and Andrew. Scott in some ways has entered my top five of Guys I Must Train With On a Regular Basis. He has very good guard replacement skills - Jason/Garcia-esque in many ways, though with more length - which really tests the weakest (and most important) part of my game. I suspect that Rodrigo has noticed this, because he's pairing me up with Scott more and more frequently. It's great work - guard passing is a true difference maker when it comes to success or failure for me, especially in competition. Hell, if I had to train with one person between now and November, it wouldn't be a crazy idea for it to be him.

Rolling with Andrew was another ride through the cement mixer ... I managed to avoid a few armlocks, but he caught me in a pair of bow and arrow chokes and a triangle over the course of about 15-20 minutes worth of rolling. In at least one instance with the bow and arrow choke, I knew that I was escaping in the wrong direction after pinning his leg to the mat. But I was so focused on wanting to practice escaping over the leg - hipscaping and turning back into him - that I figured I'd take the risk to the body motion practice. The halo choke defense is something to remember in this situation where the guy switches hands to catch you after you've picked a side.

About 154 or so on the scale after rehydration. At the beginning of Week 7, that's a perfect weight - if even a bit light. I'm feeling a little worn-out of late - having really trained hard on Saturday and again today on Monday. I may take Tuesday off and return to the mat Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and definitely Saturday. That way I still get my four training sessions in for the week.

My off the mat conditioning is going a little slowly. I got in one LSD session last week (two were scheduled) and so far this week I've managed one session as well (three are scheduled). With any luck, I'll be able to hit the treadmill at least twice over the rest of the week (Wednesday and Friday would be perfect) before it will be time to switch up to the cardiac power and threshold training (as well as the HRI work - 20 minutes of box steps!)