Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Drill Baby Drill

One of the things about 2009 is how I've remained relatively injury-free - at least in terms of things that have kept me off the mat for more than three weeks. Leaving out the sick time (2-3 weeks a year it seems), I'm not missing a lot of mat time due to incapacity.

Which is almost too bad, because that would be one explanation of why I feel like I am, at best, six months behind where I should be in terms of my sensibilities and growth on the mat. If I had missed half the year due to some injury, and were rolling more or less like I am now, I think I'd be pretty okay with it. I might be more than okay with it, to be honest.

Right now, though, I feel like I'm grappling in mud: chaotic, inconsistent, uncertain. How much training it would take over the next few months to make me feel as if I'd closed that six-month gap if I'm averaging more than 3.5 times a week now? 4 times? Five? I reach my limit pretty quickly even in the best case.

I think I've said it before: I feel as if I need to take every class twice, that circuit-building for me is like drilling through coliche and unless the engineers bring out the heavy artillery, the crew is going to be at it for more than a little while every single time.