Tuesday, December 15, 2009

P is for Pectineus

So I'm watching video of the brown and purple belt "Best Fights" on Sunday. I notice that one GB purple belt has a strategy of pulling guard and then going for the basic underhook sweep when the guy stands up in his guard. He does a great job of this in at least two of his matches.

Since standing in the guard is my mantra for 2010, I got out on the carpet and started practicing how I want to move when that sweep attack comes. I had some really good experiene with a Ricco step over the head manuever that landed me in a sort of Flat Pass like position (as long as I reached down to get the underhook where the guy was formerly underhooking my leg). So I was working this move, shadow-guard passing, evading, dodging the guard, lifting my legs out of range and then POW!

I have pictured what I think is the source of the problem. It's called the "pectineus" and because mine is in bad shape, I can't lift my right leg more than a few inches off the floor (I can march but I can't climb stairs easily), and though it is okay in most other respects, I don't have any lifting strength or mobility on my right. It was bad on Sunday, got better on Monday, and then I re-aggravated it again Tuesday morning - which is probably the official "Time Out" signal as far as this injury goes.With any luck, I'll be able to get back on the mat by the end of the week - maybe Friday.

I don't have any interest in re-injuring it - especially since I'm going to be relying greatly on leg strength and agility as I build an advanced guard passing game. So I'm going to try and take it slow and see if all I've got is a little strain and not something more serious.