Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Training Day: Monday

ATM in effect - at least for the past three weeks. If I show up the day after the Interschool, that will make it a full month of Always Train Mondays - something I definitely need to get restarted for 2010.


A very good session on the mat on Monday. I felt good cardio-wise as we worked on the same half guard passes we focused on last week. Among the major details I noticed was dealing with the shin block half guard. Rodrigo rocked back and forth with the leg lace and only put his hand on the knee to stuff the bottom leg when he was ready to attack. Otherwise you telegraph the move.

Also, I noticed that Rodrigo got both above and beyond the knee of the shin block leg before making the big switch. This made it easier to spin around the knee as you backstep around and into the guy's chest. It's a "feel" thing, of course. But it's good to have an idea of where I'm trying to go exactly when setting up the switch.

Here's a CBDP for the first watchdog style half guard pass. I don't have one for the shin block pass just yet.

Sprawl

Grips

Switch

Wing

Walk

Pass

I also did some of the best standing guard pass work I've ever done. This is another thing for 2010. Basically, I have been religious about using my legs to attack their legs, instead of worrying too much about my hands and grips. I'm also getting lower and lower in my squat, as well as trying to do a better job of attacking at an angle instead of straight-on and straight-down.

My go-to option has been to smash the leg, though ultimately there will be other options I'll have to use when guys start to catch on (or, preferably, before then). I've been focusing on moving my legs back and forth, in and out with my forearm connected to fight for inside control (a one-on-one with one leg between the other guy's legs). I also want to work the Crab attack from here - though that's a straight up attack and I very much need to focus on attacking at an angle.

Good training - I arrived early and stayed late as I've been wanting to do more and more of (and will next year). 157.6 or so on the scale post-train.