Thursday, December 10, 2009

Me & My Meniscus

Twisted my bad knee last night during training. I was on top in half guard, working the deep half/deep half counter we've been drilling for the past week or so. The guy on the bottom grabbed my north leg high on the calf and pulled it toward him, forcing me to sit with my knee bend outward and my foot to the inside.

It's not a bad movement - on my other side, it probably wouldn't have been noticed. But on my left knee, it can be an issue. I let the guy have the reverse immediately, fearing that if I fought it too hard, I risked damaging a knee I know is not (and probably won't ever be) 100%.

Adrenaline and the thrill of training kept me from noticing much over the course of the night - though I knew something was up as I eased into and out of the car. This morning, the discomfort is definitely letting me know it is here. But it is hard to see how limiting this will be.

I'm taking tonight off and planning on training tomorrow. If I can get through a training with little problem. then I'll be fine to compete on Sunday. Otherwise, I'll end up calling it a season and looking for ways to help my knee speed the healing process.