Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Genius of Rafa Mendes

Mendes celebrates “topping his division” and explains tactics
It was not one position that handed me my victory, if just because I didn’t stall. Indeed, never has a match between me and Cobrinha ended 0 to 0. He’s a quick and skillful athlete; if I were to let him move freely, he’d surely feel right at home and let his game go. It’s a fight; I need to neutralize my adversary’s strengths, so I don’t let him move as he wants to. That’s just an obvious part of how you go about winning.”
This is what jiu jitsu is all about. It isn't always about looking good or being entertainment (I'd argue that's a critical difference between jiu jitsu the martial art and the sport of MMA). It is about prevailing.
The more I see and hear from the Mendes brothers, the more impressed I am.