Friday, June 18, 2010

Training Day: Friday

A review of the weeks fundamentals started things off on Friday - though without the self-defense moves (16a: punch, push kick, body lock clinch and 16b: escape from rear bear hug).

Interestingly, although we started off the with head lock escape from the ground (the bridge and backroll), Rodrigo managed to combine all three of the other moves from side control into one. We did the side mount escape to turtle position (16b2) to double leg takedown from turtle position (16b3) to spinning armbar from side mount 16a3). I worked with Chaim on this, and his extra weight during 16b3 really helped make a workout out of it. He was also very tight on the armbar, which helped remind me of some key details.

Specific training with Elliott and JM. Mostly guard/pass guard. I'm doing relatively little pure half guard these days, focusing instead on creating opportunities out of Sit Up Guard and Breakdown Guard. Energy levels feel pretty good, though I'm about three pounds heavier than I'd like to be right now as Week Four of the tournament prep camp nears an end. I'll get a better sense of where I am weight-wise at the end of Week Five.