Monday, June 14, 2010

Training Day: Monday

Fundamentals 16a for those of you playing the home version.

1. Basic Strike: Ready Stance + Punch + Push Kick + Body Lock Clinch
2. Head Lock on the Ground Escape 3 (bridge and shoulder roll)
3. Spinning Arm Bar From Side Mount

The detail of the day was probably in the spinning armbar. Rodrigo really emphasized putting the guy on his side as the "middle step" between taking control of the arm and finishing the submission. This meant moving your body, but it mostly meant using your leg/knee to wedge behind the guy. This detail was repeated a couple of times and is one that I need to make a part of my skills work with the "grappling dummy" this week.

In fact, Rodrigo went even further, dropping the knee on the non-lock arm and driving the other knee into the ribs on the side of the locked arm. Again, details.

Tatame was mostly side control/side control escapes with Shawn. Here I was reminded of needing to counter the seat of the pants/far leg grip insofar as none of my regular escapes did much good. From the top, it was good to be forced to try and transition to knee on belly to maintain some semblance of a top attack.

Tried the Givas Pass with Tom during the afterclass/open mat session to no success. He's a big guy, so I'll need to try it on some guys closer to my size before I start making any decisions about whether or not it is a keeper. The Flat Pass remains money - at least in getting to half guard.

164.6 on the scale post-train. A typical Monday weigh-in during the summer, I suppose (can you actually watch World Cup soccer without beer?). I'd like to shave 6 pounds off the main number and am flirting with the idea of using a weekday Gracie Diet to get there over the final month of training (which begins next week).